Thursday, April 4, 2013

Aggie Agendas


I got a little story for ya, Ags. In case you have not heard, here at Texas A&M University a bill was presented to our student Senate that has left GLBT (Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual-Transgender) activists and their resource center feeling discriminated. The bill is asking any students "who object, for religious purposes, to the use of their student fees and tuition to fund this center to opt out of paying an amount equal to their share of the Center’s funding from their fee and tuition bills." Yikes. 



The Bill is targeted at the GLBT Center specifically, since we as students do not get to opt out of funding any other student organizations that they do agree with. Chris Woosley, the supporter of the Bill, stated that the bill allocates students "who object, for religious purposes, to the use of their student fees and tuition to fund this center to opt out of paying an amount equal to their share of the Center’s funding from their fee and tuition bills." If we as students were to choose not to give funding to the GLBT Center, it would save us the occasional $2 from our tuition bill. Double yikes. Have the Aggie Conservatives really resorted to using religion as a mask to discriminate? That is one masquerade ball I will not be attending. 

I myself grew up in a Christian household and going on mission trips was as common to my family and I as taking a trip to the mall. Religion is no foreign concept to me, and I am as straight as they come.  With that said, I fully support those who do not believe in the same things that I do. I do not care if you are gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender, straight, Christian, atheist, or a purple alien, I will treat all people with the same amount of respect and love because THAT is what religion should be about. The fact that a student group is in fact using religion to try and discriminate makes me nauseous. It comes to no shock to me when people scoff at the mere mention of Church or Christians. Some of them are doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing. 

In topics as debatable as this, I try and see both sides to be fair. Now I have to ask, would the GLBT and it supporters want to pay for a center that only supports heterosexual couples and lifestyles? 

Regardless, I really hope this bill is not passed. I do not feel it is reflective of the Aggie Family, nor does its content portray "family" in any way. If I disagree with the Bill and what the Aggie Conservatives are doing, can I opt out of giving them their occasional money? That would be fair. Or if one is an atheist, can they opt of giving money towards religious groups? That would also be fair. 

What do any of you think? Should the Bill be passed? Is it or is it not discriminatory? 

1 comment:

  1. I think the bill should not be passed. Not because I disagree with the fact that people shouldn't be foreced to financially support something they feel is morally wrong but because people keep arguing about it which I feel is more against aggie tradition than anything.

    ReplyDelete