Monday, April 1, 2013

Kiwis

I have never been so intrigued by a culture before as I have been by New Zealand. Both of the times that I have visited this little country down under, I sit and watch in awe of watching its people; two completely different cultures that have fused together over time. 



Let me give you a brief history of the Land of the Kiwi's: Voyagers around 1300 came to New Zealand which was then dominated by solely the Maori (from Polynesian roots). The Maori had founded tribes and were very agricultural. The British began to make consistent contact with the little island around 200 years ago and after British immigration began quickly to New Zealand through out the 19th Century. The new British colonists enormously impacted the Maori, bringing in British culture, religion, and technology, as well as the English language (does this story sound familiar?) The European New Zealanders, who we call the Pakeha, kept strong ties with their Mother Country for a while but due to a loss of access to British food goods, the Pakeha began to evolve into their own identity: a more rural lifestyle. This is still in effect there today, New Zealand has a lot of rural countryside with farms for agricultural means. 

The very first "picture" I saw of anything related to New Zealand was of their professional Rugby team, The All Blacks, something along these lines: 


My immediate thought was, "what the HECK are they doing..." I came to learn that this is called the "Haka" and this dance comes from the Maori culture, which warriors used to do before any wars in battle as a sign of a challenge. I very much admire that New Zealand embraces the original culture so well. Walking around the streets in Tauranga down in the Bay of Plenty, I hear British accents intermingled with the Maori language, and at times, if you listen closely, you can hear a hint of an Australian accent as well. 

My favorite nickname for the people of New Zealand is... the Kiwi's. How adorable is that? This nickname comes from their native bird, The Kiwi bird, which is also the national symbol for New Zealand. Not only that, New Zealand grows the most delicious Kiwi fruits.


Have any of you been to Australia or New Zealand or possibly know a Kiwi yourself? 

3 comments:

  1. Aww what a cute litle bird!!! When I saw the title Kiwi I thought of the fruit. It's interesting to find out that there's also a cute ball of fluff called a Kiwi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwhat just made my heart melt!!! I feel that we take for granted the differently structured creatures and cultures in today's society and forget to step back and enjoy the uniqueness of the creatures and societies of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so interesting to learn about the culture of New Zealand! I have never really learned much about it before. The little Kiwi bird is cute too!

    ReplyDelete